When their first venue was closed in Napa due to the fires here in Northern California, Christy and Adam quickly and seemingly effortlessly found another spot to do their wedding. Finding a new venue for a wedding 3 days before the big day is no small feat. Unfortunately, the winds changed, and the new place they found in Calistoga was also closed. Sometimes things just don’t work out as planned. I scrambled to find them a new venue here in the Bay Area, but they had already informed their guests that the wedding would be postponed. So many flights and hotel bookings to cancel. As ash fell on Oakland and the sky was filled with smoke, even many miles from the Sonoma County fires it was hard to not feel the gravity of what was happening.
Shortly after I got word that they had cancelled their Sonoma County wedding, Adam contacted me to see if I was available to fly to LA and shoot a much smaller affair in Topanga Canyon. And so a couple weeks later, I jumped on a plane and spent a wonderful (wild fire free) day with Christy and Adam. The recently opened Surfrider Hotel in Malibu was the backdrop for the first part of the day. We then went to Topanga Canyon to the Inn of the Seventh Ray for the ceremony and reception.